[paranoia] Cyberdrive

Pascal Wolff Pascal.Wolff at gmx.net
Thu Mar 9 03:27:31 PST 2000

Hello,

Every now and then there is a user asking for a recommendation for a CD-ROM
which is good at CDDA. Although the choice for SCSI seems to be an easy one (well,
Plextor obviously), it's different for IDE.

Over half a year ago I went out to buy one for myself. At that point I had
experience ripping with Plextor SCSI drives (albeit older models) and knew
how crappy IDE-Drives could be. I finally found one which I can
wholeheartedly recommend :

     CYBERDRIVE 48x

This drive has _excellent_ CDDA capabilities. It is very fast and rips
error-free. I know the latter can't be guaranteerd, but I have yet to
encounter a track with a difference between cdparanoia and cdda2wav. This
might sound like bad news for cdparanoia (after all, the whole point is to
do error-correction), so I'm going to say that I'm still
reluctant to use that other program (-: .

Speeds on my system range from 8x (cdparanoia) to 16x (cdda2wav w/o
overlapping).  And the drive is cheap too, in the range of no-names. The
only drawback is that it can be quite loud - and that it has a very stupid
name (-:

To back my claims up, there are tests done by German magazine c't claiming
that it's even faster than a Plextor drive, and better at error correction
with a heavily scratched CD. It's worse regarding data-transfer and audio
playback (they made a point explaining that CDDA and audio-playback are very
different beasts - but who still needs audio playback these days ?)

So if you need a new IDE drive or are fed up with waiting for 40 minutes to
rip one CD, go and try to find this drive.

-pascal.

Pascal.Wolff at gmx.net

"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a Hollywood basement."
             -- Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Californication