[paranoia] Paranoia hangs at autosensing SG_BIG_BUFF size

Pete St. Onge pete at seul.org
Thu Mar 2 18:32:53 PST 2000

I had cdparanoia running without incident previously on this same box for
several months - excellent software, btw. I looked through the recent
archives, and not finding anything seemingly appropriate, here's my problem
:)

Recently, my /dev/sda1 decided that it would lead a much happier existance
as a paperweight. After I reinstalled my system to an ide disk (without
changing any other hardware), I reinstalled cdparanoia from the new 9.7
source.

Problem. The program seemed to hang right after I fired it off. I removed
9.7 and the libraries, and reinstalled 9.6 from RPM. Same problem.

Some details...
- I run cdparanoia as root
- /dev/cdrom links (777) to /dev/scd0 (b660), both owned by root
- /dev/sg4 links (777) to /dev/sge (c600) both owned by root.
- although / is on /dev/hda1, the cd's are on one scsi lun, and the disks
  where cdparanoia is being called (where the files are to be written) are
  on another scsi lun. this worked perfectly before, and like I said, the
  only hardware change is reinstalling / on /dev/hda1. I can read / mount /
  play all disks, cd's etc just fine, so termination doesn't seem like a
  problem.
- This is a stock RH60 install, default 2.2.5-15 kernel.

Here's the output from -vsQ ... as you can see, it identifies the CD-ROM
just fine (Pioneer CD-ROM), that it's SCSI, etc.

[root at esox disk4]# cdparanoia -vsQ
cdparanoia III alpha prerelease 9.5 (March 24, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <xiphmont at mit.edu>

This is PRERELEASE software!  Report bugs to xiphmont at mit.edu
http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/xiphmont/cdparanoia/index.html

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/sg4
                ioctl device: /dev/scd0
                CDROM sensed: PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766 1.00

Checking for SCSI emulation and transport revision...
        Drive is SCSI

Checking for MMC style command set...
        Drive is MMC style
Verifying CDDA command set...
        Expected command set reads OK.

Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
        Old 2.0/early 2.1/early 2.2.x (non-ac patch) style SG.

Attempting to autosense SG_BIG_BUFF size...

... and that's where it hangs. Can anyone offer ideas?

Many thanks!

Pete

--
Pete St. Onge