[Fwd: [paranoia] Track Boundary problem]

Adi Garg garg1622 at home.com
Wed Feb 23 12:55:44 PST 2000

More info...
The problem occurs in the last few seconds of the track. Could this be
something to do with the non-audio sectors between track (or something
like that) that I remember reading about. The problem has shown up at
precisely 175 sectors before the end of the track. This seems to be more
than 2 secs (75 sectors per sec?). I've been able to get around the
problem for now, by using the span option. I'm looking at this further,
but it really is only a workaround. I'd really like to know what is
actually going on. Oh, another thing, I looked at the stderr after
turning on the -e option and it tries to verify a single sector many
times towards the end. There are at least two sets of verify statements
for each sector with >10 lines in each set. If the actual output of the
stderr will help, I can post that as well. I did not build the code
myself, but will look at that next.

Thanks for all help.
Adi

<STRONG>attached mail follows:</STRONG><HR NOSHADE>

I'm trying to use cdparanoia 9.7 with ripit.pl. I have been successful in ripping one complete CD, but three others so far have had this same problem: cdp will go through most of the track correctly and very quickly, but it will just sit there at the end, going through one sector at a time. For example it stopped at sector 020480 of 20656 and takes 15-20 minutes for one sector each and even that is not consistent. CPU load stays <50% till this time, but suddenly goes up to 99% with no visible progress. This mostly happens on track 1, but has happened on track 2 on a different CD. The problem disks have the problem at the same point every time. I've read all the documentation but am at my wits end. I downloaded and installed the binary on Suse Linux 6.3 and am running on a PIII 500MHz computer with 128MB RAM. My CD-ROM drive is Lite-On LTN-483S and is detected correctly. Any clues as to what is going on here, or what I can try to fix it.

I have installed and am currently using the SCSI-emulation support with no improvement.

Thanks
Adi