[paranoia] ripping whole cd X single track

Miroslav Kure kurem at alpha.inf.upol.cz
Tue Sep 21 23:03:24 PDT 1999

Hi all.
I've such a (esthetic?)problem. I have PII/266, 192MB ram, Panasonic 585
ide cddrive, cdparanoia III 9.[4-6] on my Linux box.
When I copy whole audio cd (or a range oftracks) like 'cdparanoia -B 1-7',
the progress indicator shows a lot -+V! marks.It usualy begins after the
end of the first track and continues over wholerange. (mostly '-' with
some 'V' and little '+' '!').(Well depends on medium).

But when I use something like (pseudocode):
for (i = 1; i <= 7; i++) {
  exec 'cdparanoia -B i'
}

o between each track is cdparanoia ended and started with the only
onetrack to encode, result is much better: only one - (or + or V or !) at
the end of each track (like the first track from example above).

Wave files sounds same to me (on my $40 speakers). Is it problem of some
cache?
Does it really affect quality or just some visual output errors? It could
be unpleasant if I want the most exact cd copy, so I use cdrdao and
prepare data with 'cdparanoia 1-' and get lots of -+!V.

(I'm not in conferrence, please reply to my edress)

Thanks Miroslav Kure

kurem at alpha.inf.upol.cz
student of Palacky University