[paranoia] Newbie User - Can't read CD

DAVID BALAZIC david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Mon Sep 13 09:43:39 PDT 1999

From: Gary Huntress <huntres at ibm.net>

>Hi,
>
>    I'm trying to rip with cdparanoia from a GCD-R542B drive, I believe =
>it is a Goldstar drive, fairly old.  First I tried generic ATAPI, but I =
>was getting repeated "packet command error x54".  After reading some of =
>the documentation, I recompiled my kernel with ide-scsi emulation.

I have a GCD-580B drive here.
8x data , 1x data with many sync errors ( populary know as jitter )

So if your is an even older  model , there is a great chance that does
not support audio reading at all.

Try it with other programs ( even under Windoze :-) ,
but don't expect too much.

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein at writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija