[paranoia] Ripped wav is choppy

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 20 19:22:27 PDT 1999

> When I rip a track to a wav, the resulting wav file sounds very choppy -
> almost like a skipping CD. There may be a fraction of a second of sound
> followed by another fraction of silence. The choppiness is very regular
> and has been reproduced on several tracks of a CD that otherwise plays
> normally. I have reproduced this on multiple CD's as well.

This is most likely a playback problem.  Not certainly, mind you, I'm just
going by statistics.  First, make sure the machine in question can play back
other *CD quality* wav files, meaning 44.1kHz/16bit/little endian/stereo.  Or,
try the wav on a different machine known to work.  If this is impossible or
exceedingly difficult, but a small WAV that illustrates the problem somewhere I
can get to it.  You can try mailing it, but large files can disappear during
mail transport.

> Mandrake 6.0 base w/ kernel 2.2.12
> splay 0.8.2 (to test the wav)
> cdparanoia III pre5 5 April 98

That's an exceedingly old version.  Please get the most recent snapshot (9.6).

Monty