[paranoia] Update to: TEAC is slow ripping (I looked at the FAQ)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Oct 18 21:39:16 PDT 1999

> Hello, is anyone out there? My prior message didn't get any replies.

Sorry about that, been busy hacking.  I'm only about ten days behind on email
right now which is better than I usually do :-)

>Anyhow, I have updated the firmware in my TEAC 32X drive and still
>don't get more than 2x in cd ripping!

First, rip with -Z and see how fast that is.  That will be the true speed of
the drive.  Most 32X drives... aren't.  Even drives that have very fast data
performace don't necessarily have the same performance at DAE.

Paranoia is then roughly a threefold hit on top of the drive's true extraction
speed (unless it starts getting into heavy error correction).  So, I'd guess
that the drive's flat out DAE speed is actually more like 5-6x.

>I found out from digging around
>the teac web site and news groups that there is some kind of
>"expansion" utility for windows that speeds up the drive by about 10
>times, but only under 'blows98.

It probably just caches data on the hard drive.  If you find out otherwise, I'd
like to know... However, a 10x speedup on top of 32x would be 320x and given
that your drive uses a single read head, that's not possible.  A CD blows up
from centripetal force long before then (50-60x according to Philips research).

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Monty