[paranoia] ripping whole cd X single track

Peter Hackenberg phackenberg at aip.de
Thu Oct 14 07:50:53 PDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Monty wrote:

> The '-' is a known bug where verification slides a little on sections of all
> zeroes (like on pregaps between song of discs that actually obey redbook).
>
> > But when I use something like (pseudocode):
> > for (i = 1; i <= 7; i++) {
> >   exec 'cdparanoia -B i'
> > }

I also use this method and concatenate the .wav files afterwards.
To my experience this gives the best result.

> > so between each track is cdparanoia ended and started with the only
> > onetrack to encode, result is much better: only one - (or + or V or !) at
> > the end of each track (like the first track from example above).
>
> I'd expect the '-' to mostly go away from the above, but it shouldn;t affect
> occurrences of '!' or 'V' which are more likely to be real errors (spurious
> '!' at the edges of tracks are also possible due to the same bug).

I can double the original poster's experience. Cdparanoia reports "V" at
the boundary of a track, even if the cd has no _real_ errors.
If I start cdparanoia at another (some later) position, then the "V"
disappears (yes, the problematic point is still within the ripping range).

> No, it's just a genuine bug in CDparanoia's matching.
>
> > Does it really affect quality or just some visual output errors? It could
> > be unpleasant if I want the most exact cd copy, so I use cdrdao and
> > prepare data with 'cdparanoia 1-' and get lots of -+!V.
>
> If it's only at the edges, it's just a visual problem; you shouldn't hear
> anything.  If those errors are in the middle of a track, that's a real error
> in the rip.

Unfortunately it is not only a visual problem. The algorithm used
by cdparanoia tends to shorten each gap, which is in between the tracks.
In the end, the last track starts up to 0.5 seconds too early (the end of
the .wav file is padded with zeros). If you burn the cd with cdrdao
and tell your cd player to play the last track, then you miss the first
0.5 seconds of this track, i.e., the track marks don't match the music
anymore.

Peter