[paranoia] Sector Offset Option Patch (for 9.6)

Darren Stuart Embry dse at louisville.edu
Sat Nov 20 15:32:36 PST 1999

1.  I've implemented an option that's in cdda2wav that allows the user
    to specify a sector_offset, the -o option.  A patch against
    cdparanoia-III 9.6 is attached to this email.  I basically looked
    at the cdda2wav code and tried to understand what it did but did
    not use any actual cdda2wav code here.

    I'll admit that the code isn't all that great but it works.  The
    modifications are to main.c; after adding sector_offset to a few
    variables it has to temporarily subtract it when calling
    cdda_track_lastsector() so it can find what track it's intended to
    be reading.  What a hack.

    I did this because I have a 6X TOSHIBA XM-5502TA (reported as
    XM5522B) ATAPI drive that seems to have an off-by-32-sectors error
    when I run cdparanoia: it will miss the first thirty-two sectors
    of each track and tack the first thirty-sectors of the next track
    onto the end.  I hear that this seems to be a consistent behaviour
    that happens with many Toshiba drives.

2.  Oddly enough, my drive is now flaking out; could this have been
    the result of me fiddling around?  If that's the case then try (or
    if you're Monty, and I've already emailed you about this,
    incorporate) this patch at your own risk.  :/

Darren

--
Darren Stuart Embry made me do it.  http://www.slug.louisville.edu/~dsembr01/

  ``My 10-year-old daughter is a big Snoopy fan, and she won't stop
    taking out MetLife insurance policies.'' -- from The Onion