[paranoia] ide-scsi setup?

Jon A. Christopher jon at amanda.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 10 10:43:17 PST 1999

Hello,

I have a question about the IDE-SCSI setup for cdparanoia.  I first tried
to run cdparanoia with the default RH 6.1 kernel, but that was
very slow and produced many error messages in /var/log/messages:

Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel: hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel: hdb: packet command error: error=0xb0
Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel: ATAPI device hdb:
Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel:   Error: Aborted command -- (Sense key=0x0b)
Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel:   Loss of streaming -- (asc=0xbf,ascq=0x00)
Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel:   The failed "<NULL>" packet command was:
Nov  8 16:48:02 amanda kernel:   "be 04 00 01 d8 9f 00 00 08 f8 00 00 "

This is similar to, but not identical to problems reported in the faq for
ide drives.  So I discovered the ide-scsi emulation, which looked to be
the ticket.  I rebuilt the kernel with IDE-SCSI emulation built in (not a
module), and disabled ATAPI cdrom access.  Booted with hdb=ide-scsi.
The kernel appears be using the ide-scsi code, since there's a mention of
a SCSI cdrom during the boot messages, and /proc/scsi has the information
about the device, which is not normally there.

However, I can't seem to access the cdrom.  Which device should I use?
Apparently it's not any of /dev/hdb (the device I use for ide access with
the stock kernel), /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sga or /dev/sgb.  None of
those devices worked for either data or audio access.  Obviously I'm
missing something.  How do I set up the scsi emulation and which device do
I use to access the cdrom?  Do I need "SCSI CD-ROM support" or just
"SCSI-generic support" in the kernel configuration?  Do I need any of the
SCSI low-level drivers in the kernel configuration?

Please cc any replies to me directly, since I'm not on this list.

Regards,
Jon Christopher

--
Dr. Jon A. Christopher              / jac8792 at tamu.edu |  Project URLs: