[paranoia] cdparanoia fails to open CD

DAVID BALAZIC david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Tue Dec 21 04:16:13 PST 1999

From: Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org>

>I should get this on the troubleshooting page...
>
>> I had cdparanoia installed and working on my RH5.2 system. After
>> upgrading to 6.1 I get:
>>
>> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>>                 /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
>>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
>>                 Could not access device /dev/scd0: Wrong medium type
>>
>> After playing around some, I realized that the open(device, O_RDONLY)
>> fails, even though I run this as root.
>
>A 'feature' in recent (2.2.12+ and 2.3.x) Linux kernels requires a cdrom device
>to be opened O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK when accessing an audio disc.  I have no clue
>why, but I'm sure the reason seemed good to whoever coded the interface.

With O_NONBLOCK you can open the device even iof there is no medium inserted.
I guess opening a CDDA fail because you can not make any normal operations
on it, like read/write/seek , so it "makes no sense" to open it ...

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein at writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija