[paranoia] cdparanoia III release 9.6

Steve Bourland sbourlan at ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:20:25 PST 1999

Sorry to bother you, I am not sure if I have found a bug or not (I suspect
I have something messed up somewhere, and can't figure it out).  I am
trying to install cdparanoia III release 9.6 on my happy Redhat 6.0 box
running on a Dell Dimension desktop (Pentium II).  Here is what it it
telling me:

/home/sbourlan % cdparanoia 10
cdparanoia III release 9.6 (August 17, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
Consider using -s to force a more complete autosense
of the machine.

More information about /dev/cdrom:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
   Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
           /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
   Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
           No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

When I try and use the '-s' option, I get the man pages.  I popped over
the troubleshooting page on the website and found the first entry to
describe exactly the problem I am having.  I was excited, I figured I
would be able to work things out.  Sadly, I have failed pathetically.  I
have recompiled my kernel to ensure I have generic SCSI support available,
and the module (sg.o) is sitting in my modules directory.  Here is what my
/dev directory looks like (for the things I think matter here):

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Oct 18 07:36 cdrom -> scd0
brw-------   1 sbourlan users     11,   0 May  5  1998 scd0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg0 -> sga
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg1 -> sgb
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg2 -> sgc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg3 -> sgd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg4 -> sge
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg5 -> sgf
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg6 -> sgg
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct 18 07:28 sg7 -> sgh
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   0 May  5  1998 sga
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   1 May  5  1998 sgb
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   2 May  5  1998 sgc
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   3 May  5  1998 sgd
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   4 May  5  1998 sge
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   5 May  5  1998 sgf
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   6 May  5  1998 sgg
crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   7 May  5  1998 sgh

I have tried moving the /dev/cdrom file to /dev/old_cdrom but cdparanoia
behaves the same.  I have changed the group for sg[0-7] to users, no
change in behavior.  I have changed the group for sg[a-h] to users, again,
no change in cdparanoia's behavior.  That's when I decided I didn't know
enough about what I was doing to try any more.  Can you offer any advice?
In case you can't tell, I am a relative newbie to Linux, so the more
detail you can give, the happier I will be.  Let me know if you need more
info.
                                        Thanks a ton,
                                            Steve