[paranoia] SCSI timeout problem

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 6 18:46:15 PST 1999

> I'm using cdparanoia-III-alpha9.6, with a Plextor PlexWriter CD-R (4x
> read/6x write) SCSI drive, using a Buslogic SCSI-2 card.  While trying
> to rip one particular CD, I encountered a problem where I received
> numerous SCSI read and write timeouts.  cdparanoia could still
> successfully rip the CD, but it was excruciatingly slow, and I needed
> to use the -z option in order to avoid getting lots of V's.  I still
> got lots of e's.

> I've ripped many CDs previously, and had never encountered this
> before.  My best guess is that the CD has some problems, but the drive
> itself tries to correct the problem.  When cdparanoia times out and
> retries, it defeats whatever the drive is doing, and makes it
> extremely difficult for the drive to read the CD correctly.

You're basically correct.  I've upped the SCSI timeout threshhold for the
impeding 9.7.

As an only slightly related aside, I've also discovered that the Plextor
ultraplex40max should be upgraded to firmware 1.02 to avoid a number of timeout
bugs caused by discs with a TOC that misdeclared the beginning of the audio
session by a few sectors.

Monty