[paranoia] I'm having problems (CD ROM drive not suported?)

Scott Stevens StevensScott at email.msn.com
Tue Aug 31 17:11:58 PDT 1999

I have experienced this situation a lot as well, the extraction of the last
track taking a long-long time.  I have a machine dedicated to the task
(P166, 128MB of RAM, Slackware 4.0) so oftentimes I just leave it running
down in the lab.  Sometimes it runs for longer than a few days extracting a
single CD.  It always gets a very clean track, no matter what, though, which
is what I am after.  I will admit I am recovering music from some very
scratchy originals (I reburn to cdaudio, never do any compression).

I am really looking forward to Paranoia IV, as I am slowly migrating away
from Linux to NetBSD (i386) and CDParanoia is one of the few Linux-only
programs I use a lot that I can't bring over to BSD.  I'm interested in
building and testing IV whenever it becomes available.

I haven't worked with the source very much yet.  I am wondering if there are
optimizations and error-tolerance levels I can tweak with in there.  I get
such perfect tracks out of it now that I'm wondering if I'm running it "too"
paranoid, but the command line switches don't provide that much
tweakability.

Scott