[Paranoia-dev] Patch for original XBOX drives

Russell Salerno rssalerno at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 14:02:42 PDT 2009

Hello all,

I'm on a mission to get cdparanoia to work on original XBoxes (not
360) fitted with Philips and/or Thompson DVD drives.  In sum, the
original XBox came fitted with either a Thompson, Philips, or Samsung
DVD drive.  Cdparanoia recognizes and works with the XBox Samsung
drive, but not the Philips and/or Thompson drives because they do not
identify themselves as having CD ripping capabilities.  I tried
patching the release 10pre0 (which is the installed version on my xDSL
box) with Michael Steil's patch but it did not make any difference.
See, e.g., http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/paranoia-dev/2003-August/000125.html

Ultimately I'd like to add an option e.g., -xbox philips or -xbox
thompson that will force cdparanoia to skip any drive capability tests
and just rip using predetermined parameters.

My question to the group is where in the code should I start poking to
implement such a patch and also, if anyone has attempted this and/or
has any other insight into this particular area.

Thanks in advance,

Russell Salerno