[Paranoia-dev] C2 error support.

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Sun May 24 02:32:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 02:57:24PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into adding support for reading the C2 error
> information [...]

Here is an initial patch.  It would be nice if people could test
this and give feedback.

Some comments about the patch:
- I've merged all the i_read_mmc() functions to 1 function
  so that not all of them need to be modified.
- rs was set wrong in verify_read_command().  They all had
  the DAP bit inverted.
- There are still a few TODOs in it.

I've been testing this with a CD with lots of scratches.  What
I've seen:
- My plextor reads this CD at full speed (40x) every time, always
  identical, never returns C2 errors.
- The other drives have problems reading this, even at speed 1.
  Without this patch I got 20+ different files.  With this patch
  they all either generate the same file as the plextor, or fail
  to read it / generate a skip.  Once I got a total of 1.8 million
  C2 errors for 1 track, but the result was still good.
- The current patch marks all samples belonging to 1 byte of c2
  error information as having a problem while it should probably
  be possible to only mark the sample that is affected.  For some
  reason that's currently unclear to me this always results in a
  good file and trying to mark only the bad one resulted in a bad
  file.  (Maybe I should mark both left and right instead of only
  left or right?)

Kurt