[Paranoia-dev] An OS-independent cdparanoia via libcdio

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Mon Jan 17 19:41:09 PST 2005

Recently I've taught a copy of cdparnaoia to use the CD reading and
control routines from the package libcdio
(http://www.gnu.org/software/libcdio). Although I haven't done any
extensive testing, I have built and tested the same source on
GNU/Linux, Solaris, OSX, and cygwin. On cygwin, things work, slowly
and with lots of grumbling. But cygwin aside, I guess things are ready
to open up for review and comment to a small, select hopefully more
developer-friendly and savvy community.

So as not to set the expectations too high though, what's there in the
way of cdparanoia is what was checked into paranoia CVS. Patches
people may added to a "port" is probably not there. In fact getting
some drive capabilities either by a list or by OS-specific magic for
determining if a drive understands ATAPI commands is also not
there. Nor are all the various SCSI read routines.

As a result of this merger libcdio has had to grow quite a bit, and
it's possible down the line, it may grow quite a bit more to handle
such things.

libcdio comes with some regression tests (and sample programs) and
I've added a couple for cdparanoia. In contrast to what is in CVS, the
simulated test-failure mode is compiled in. It can be turned on at any
time.

In doing this, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could remove
many of the routines to read from a file and create a fake CD TOC;
they were already in libcdio via the CD image-reading routines for
cdrdao or CDRWin bin/cue. However the regression tests are very basic
and I'm not convinced that the paranoia routines work perfectly. (But
they also don't fail perfectly either.)

For those two of you who might still be interested, here's where you
can get CVS information; https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=libcdio