[paranoia-dev] possible bug in version III release alpha 9.8

Aaron Brick aaron at lithic.org
Tue Mar 16 22:38:56 PST 2004

i don't know if you've solved this yet, but i would recommend trying a more
expensive CD-ROM drive and faster processor both. before you do so, though,
find out what the fastest you can get a clean rip is at the moment. though
short of 56x, it might be perfectly acceptable.

good luck,
aaron.

o said brent at bmusat.com in 3.4K bytes on Mon, Sep 15, 2003:

> Background and Goal
>
> I've been wanting to make an linux jukebox for a long time (5 plus years).  It would serve two purposes.  1) to have all my music
> (600 CD's worth) at my fingertips anywhere within my home network.  and 2) to archive the CD's and have a back-up copy of the CDDA
> bitstream so I could reburn a CD (exact bitwise burn) in the case one of my CD's was damaged or lost or degraded over time (a lot of
> CD-R's in my collection).   So, the MP3 format would fit requirement 1, but not 2, since it is a lossy format.  I learned about FLAC
> a couple of days ago and instantly fell in love with the open lossless format.  And with HD space as cheap as it is today I felt I
> could finally realize my linux lossless jukebox idea.  The only major hurdle was ripping the CDDA bitstream off the CD's in an exact
> manner to wav format!  which is how I came to be using cdparanoia.
>
> Hardware
>
> I'm running Debian Linux (2.2.20 kernel), with cdparanoia, flac, and rip installed on an old Pentium 90.  I just recently bought a
> 56x CD-Rom drive for $25 that I installed and it seems to work fine, and read data CD's at a fast rate, and it's capable of digital
> audio extraction, altho I'm not sure if it's working 100%.  I'm not even sure of the brand of CD-Rom but it says the following in
> the output of rip: "CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible OEM CD-ROM F564E"
>
> What I'm Seeing
>
> I first started trying to use cdparanoia with the "-Z" flag since it was so darn fast.  I could rip a CD to FLACs in about 20-25
> mins, but I realized I was bypassing the main features of cdparanoia. (note: the progress bar never showed any +'s or -'s or
> anything else other than happy smilies).  So then I tried running it without any options and the progress bar would show +'s and -'s
> which, from reading the documentation, should be correctable and not cause any audible noise, skips, or clicks.  I would get an
> occasional "V" which was unacceptable..  I started using the "-X" option so it would abort on "V"s.  I also tried the "-z"
> (lowercase) option so that it would try indefinitely to correct mistakes
>
> But I found out that even if it ripped with only +'s and -'s I was still hearing some mistakes in the wav file!  this disappointed
> me since I thought that cdparanoia would correct those problems!  So I've had to experiment around with the other options and it
> seems that if I use the "-S 1" flag to reduce the speed I will get a perfectly clean rip with no +'s or -'s and no audible mistakes
> in the wav file....
>
> So my question and point is that even if I rip and only get +'s and -'s it still does NOT guarantee a clean rip!  I have to force
> the "-S 1" flag to ensure a clean rip.   (note: I haven't tried other values of the -S flag to push the limits, since I'm mainly
> concerned with a clean rip and -S 1 is the most conservative level.)

> [...]

                           -     aaron brick     -
                           -    aa at lithic.org    -