[paranoia-dev] Debugging cdparanoia in C

Ruben I Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Tue Apr 13 19:30:05 PDT 2004

Hello

i've been working with paranoiaIII in order to make a new interface in GTK for
ripping ogg files from cdda and I'm very stuck on the cdrom interface.

I've tried to compile the program with degugging symbol on from the CVS archive,
both using the make debug command and adding -g and -ggbd into the make files.

Specifically, I wanted to learn the interface to the cdrom discovery routines in
your libraries, especially cdrom_drive *cdda_find_a_cdrom(int messagedest,char **messages)
in scan_devices.c.  I just can't get a handle on any lines for degugging.  I can't break
on the function, I can't seem to even get main() to give me line numbers for stepping.

I'm a moderate C programmer with some experience, mostly with ANSI business logic,
using programs of my own creation.

when I run:
gdb /home/ruben/paranoia-III/cdparanoia
I get the following session

(gdb) set arg -Q
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x804904b
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/ruben/paranoia-III/cdparanoia -Q

Breakpoint 1, 0x0804904b in main ()
(gdb) step
Single stepping until exit from function main,
which has no line number information.
atexit (func=0) at atexit.c:30
30      atexit.c: No such file or directory.
        in atexit.c

I can't get into any of the support files or functions.

nm gives me a complete table and I've removed the strip from the
Makefile.

I have a working copy on this SUSe 9.0 box, but I don't think this is the problem.
Can anyone offer any help?

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

proportions in the mind of the world  - RI Safir 1998

http://fairuse.nylxs.com

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.inns.net <-- Happy Clients
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and articles from around the net