[paranoia-dev] CDParanoia needs an output ring-buffer

Patrick Lynch patlynch at hailmail.net
Fri Jul 25 01:45:36 PDT 2003

To adequatley use cdparanoia with pipes, it needs an output ring-buffer.
By ring-buffer I mean
1.) A 4meg block of memory
2.) Can be read from and written to at the same time
3.) It protects the cdparanoia process from the block behaviour of the
shell pipe ('|')

I presume this would also increase performance even when writing to a
file on a hard disk, as I have noticed cdparanoia's '.o0O0o.' indicater
jerking when the hdd makes noise (no no, seriously :)

Also, It would be cool if cdparanoia saved DIRECTLY to the flac format.
This can be acheived by the following

 bash$ mkfifo tmp.pipe
 bash$ cdparanoia single track > tmp.pipe &
 bash$ flac -5 tmp.pipe -o cd-track.flac

 Problem is that the FIFO's buffer size is 4K! flac and cdparanoia wont
 run parrelel. the operation can take twice as long as it should.
 cdparanoia pauses reading whilst flac processes.

 The work around is to use cdda2wav, with the -paranoia switch ( I much
 prefer cdparanoia routines to cdda2wav's)
 With cdda2wav you can specify a large 'ring buffer' for output to
 stdout(4megs is usually enough).

 An --output-flac option would be cool, but a ring-buffer for stdout mode
 will make cdparanoia usefull with other formats also.

 Patrick.

--
  Patrick Lynch
  patlynch at hailmail.net