[paranoia-dev] Paranoia IV

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at skynet.be
Sat Apr 12 16:20:31 PDT 2003

Hi Mikko,

> A Finnish hacker (whose name I don't provide without permission) sent a
> patch to me solving this problem. It adds a new '-P' switch to
> cdparanoia command, which allows ripping Cactus-protected CD's with
> Plextor. It (a) changes the way TOC is read, (b) alters the reading
> command.

I had implemented the same TOC read (mine was a bit more generic as it read
all the sessions, but that's not needed to rip audio tracks which are always
located in the first session). So this is definitely an improvement, and
works with most MMC drives (not only Plextor).

Unfortunately, the reading command used by the patch (READ CD-DA, 0xD8)
doesn't work neither on my Plextor drive (PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W1210A 1.07) nor
on my Hitachi drive (HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-7500 0005) better than the plain READ
CD command. I would really like to know what causes the difference between
the CD drives when reading corrupted audio sectors (and also how exactly the
different copy protection methods corrupt the sectors).

Laurent Pinchart