[paranoia-dev] raw CD device reading

Jeffrey Bridge jeffrey+paranoiadev at firehead.org
Fri Jul 12 10:44:53 PDT 2002

[w00t! first traffic on this list in eight months...]

If I understand things correctly, there are either one or two ECC codes
used with CD-ROMs. One is used with audio, and another is used with
data. The data code seems to pad 2048-byte sectors to 2536 bytes, or
something like that. I don't know about the audio one.

If you have a CD which has intentionally bogus ECC data, it makes it so
you will get a kernel error when trying to read it, right? Does
cdparanoia get around this and talk to the device directly to read
2536-byte sectors? If so, how is this accomplished?

My interest in this subject stems from having aquired a DIVX disc
yesterday, and trying to read it in a DVD-ROM drive. Interpreting it as
a UDF image (either in kernel-land or userland), some of the files read
correctly, but some of them get SCSI errors when you try to read the
sectors. I'd like to know if there's a way to read at a lower level to
get around this inability to read the sectors.

~jeffrey :j