[paranoia-dev] status of paranoia IV/new possible application

Paul Barton-Davis pbd at op.net
Tue Oct 3 15:39:47 PDT 2000

hi, i just joined the list today. i am at work on a real-time CD
recorder, intended to be the equivalent of a variety of dedicated h/w
boxes such as the Tascam RW2000. the program is written and it mostly
works, and it has a rather nice gui:

       http://www.op.net/~pbd/cdr/screen.png

However, right now it uses cdrecord and cdda2wav for burning and
playback of CDs. This is a pain in the neck, because it has to do so
by invoking them as subprocesses and collecting their output and input
via pipes.

An obvious move would be to merge the source of cdrecord and cdda2wav
into my program, but this seems horrendously painful, since neither of
them give any indication of being designed for this. Moreover,
cdrecord is still subject to various development efforts and I end up
having to keep syncing my version.

So, paranoia -- several people suggested i should use libparanoia, but
from the web site, its clear that paranoia IV is likely to be the one
that i want, and equally clear that its not ready yet. Any news on the
status, and/or the suitability of paranoia III for what i'm trying to
do ? Note that I am not interested in error correction - Monty has
clearly stated that this can't be done in real-time, but I am
interested in a uniform API for interrogating and controlling CD, CD-R
and CD-RW devices.

--p