[paranoia-dev] Wrapper program difficulties

Scott Bronson bronson at trestle.com
Sun Sep 5 03:08:00 PDT 1999

Hello.  I'm writing a simple little Rip/MP3 encode front end in Perl.
You can find what I have so far at

    http://www.trestle.com/linux/civctp-music/

In short, I'm frustrated with the output my wrapper can receive from
cdparanoia III-alpha9.5.  Here is what I've found...

The default output (progress bar, smilies and all) is more machine-readable
than the information provided by the -e --stderr-progress switch!  Because of
an unfortunate isatty call, however, cdparanoia refuses to provide its
default progress-bar ouput, forcing the wrapper to use the -e switch.

Except that -e does not print a beginning and an end, so the wrapper cannot
calculate a progress bar.  If the wrapper is written in a high-level language,
it will not know CD_FRAMESIZE_RAW, which means it cannot even determine the
sector!  Finally, cdparanoia outputs a huge amount of unneeded information,
hurting system performance (important when you're ripping AND encoding at
the same time).

After looking at the source, I think that adding intelligible, machine-
readable output to cdparanoia should not be too hard...  I'll do it and
submit a patch if it's a good idea.  Please tell me if I'm missing
something or if making Paranoia wrappable would be time well spent.

Thanks,

        - Scott		bronson at trestle.com