[paranoia-dev] Development for Solaris?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 28 03:03:45 PDT 1999

> Hi,
>
> > I'd really like to get cdparanoia running for Solaris 7.  I've a ton of users
> > here at work that would like to rip and encode CDs (including myself) and have
> > to use our Linux boxes for the purpose.
> > Where might I find read-only CVS access to get the source and begin working on
> > it, or see if it compiles?  Thanks.

It does not compile and there are big gaping holes in the source base.  I'll
be getting it into CVS regardless, but pIV has a great deal of work left to be
done.

> Since I am also using Solaris 7, I have tried to get the development code,
> without success.  I would be very happy IF WE COULD CONTRIBUTE TO THE
> DEVELOPMENT of cdparanoia.

I'm going to risk being unprofessional for a moment.

I will kindly ask the poster to refrain from shouting.  pIV is not in the read
only CVS yet because it takes *time* to put it there in a form that is useful
to developers and flag it with large red letters that says "THIS IS UNFINISHED.
 IT WILL NOT WORK" because I'll immediately start getting email complaining
about posting broken code.  I'm already getting an average of four-five hours
of sleep a night from being spread too thinly. I'm not withholding source out
of spite.  I've simply not gotten to it because even giving code away takes
time and I have none (right now).

> I think that using SCSI CD-ROM drives for ripping should not be the big
> problem.  The big problem for Solaris 7 is to write an ATAPI-driver or a
> SCSI emulation like Linux.

Hacking Paranoia III to run on Solaris is, in fact, reasonably easy but it
turns the code into an #ifdef nightmare.  pIV is a nice, clean setup, but
required rewriting things from the ground up.  I'm working as fast as I can,
spread across paying work (so I can continue to eat) and the three open source
projects for which I'm responsible.  As it is, I can barely even keep up with
email.

Monty