[paranoia-dev] Real-time reading with paranoia ?

Foo Bar willem at stack.nl
Thu Oct 21 09:54:21 PDT 1999

Hi,
I'm currently making a CD player program (Actually it's a plugin for xmms)
which, unlike most other programs, reads digital audio from the CD and
pipes it through the soundcard.  It looks like I happen to have an
extremely stable CDROM unit myself, so simple audio reads suffice on
my system, but I can imagine how other users, with not-so-stable drives,
would get a lot of jitter and whatnot.
So I thought I could use the paranoia library to read the audio stream
off the drive, giving a much more reliable stream.
But, if I would use the paranoia library, I would somehow need to
guarantee that I get a real-time stream.
It would be extremely useful if I could give the library some kind
of deadline for the audio data, so that it can use more or less
paranoia depending on how much time is left for the data to be delivered.

So the questions are:
- Is it feasible to use the paranoia lib to read a real-time audio stream ?
- Can I 'tune' the library to use less or more paranoia depending on how
  much time there is left ?
- How much CPU impact can I expect when paranoia is reading a real-time
  audio stream ? (with different error-correction modes)

Thanks in advance,
SaSW,

--
Willem (at stack dot nl)