[opus] Is there a latency difference between uncompressed UDP (ie Jacktrip) and Opus?

Matt Keys matt at mattkeys.net
Mon Jun 14 00:13:59 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to find any existing documentation or test results of latency differences between using Opus and uncompressed audio UDP streams such as Jacktrip. I have posted my question to the Jacktrip users group here:

https://groups.google.com/g/jacktrip-users/c/xxMlqah1SKw

As well as to my general telephony network on LinkedIn here:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mattkeys_jacktrip-udp-vs-sip-rtp-activity-6809305949031931904-IuGQ

The underlying question being -- which (opus stereo at 48k or uncompressed UDP) is best for lowest latency and highest quality audio while assuming the endpoints are physically distant? As far as I can tell Jacktrip recommends max distance of 250 miles or less between clients, and "Research suggests it's very difficult to perform music with a delay greater than 25 milliseconds".

I welcome suggestions on how to benchmark this latency difference, if any. I was thinking about using jack_iodelay and a loopback between audio in and audio outputs while using baresip + jack + opus.

Thanks,
Matt