[opus] Audacity adds noise to silence! (Was: Why silence is encoded with so many bits?)

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 19:00:35 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 6:55 PM Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
> silence.wav silence.opus". I don't know if Opus would just use "12 bits"
> or rather consider silence if the signal power is below 12 bits, but use
> the full range when signal is present. If it is the second case, I could
> even use only 8 bits for silence detection, but encode 16 bits when
> signal is present.

Dithering should really just be in the bottom two bits or so bits with
an average power of 1 bit.

Silence detection could detect dithering and cut it out but the
annoying thing there is if the playback gain is extremely high (e.g.
due to quiet input) you might actually hear the silence detection
switching in and out. :(