[opus] Performance comparison between Opus Custom and Standard modes

Rafael Paiva rcdpaiva at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 08:42:42 UTC 2019

Dear Opus Experts,

I am interested in an application where I should aim for the lowest
possible latency.

At the moment, I can be flexible in adjusting the frame sizes of the
application for what is provided by the Standard mode but I have existing
implementation using Opus Custom mode.

So my question is: if I can use frame sizes according to Opus Standard
mode, is there a performance reason (like latency, complexity, or support
of the algorithms), should I avoid Opus Custom mode and migrate to Opus
Standard?

What is the difference between the two modes if I am already using CELT in
terms of CPU, latency, or audio quality for encoder + PLC?

Thanks in advance for your attention,

Best regards,

Dr. Rafael Paiva