[opus] Opus cmake build

Marcus Asteborg xnorpx at outlook.com
Wed Apr 10 15:29:53 UTC 2019

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

By default CMake is building the static library in debug, to get other things one has to explicit turn it on.

To build in release mode for CMake you use the following flag:
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/variable/CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE.html
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE — CMake 3.14.1 Documentation<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/variable/CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE.html>
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE¶. Specifies the build type on single-configuration generators. This statically specifies what build type (configuration) will be built in this build tree.
cmake.org

To build shared library you use the following flag:
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/variable/BUILD_SHARED_LIBS.html
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS — CMake 3.14.1 Documentation<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/variable/BUILD_SHARED_LIBS.html>
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS¶. Global flag to cause add_library() to create shared libraries if on.. If present and true, this will cause all libraries to be built shared unless the library was explicitly added as a static library.
cmake.org

To build tests use the following flags:
-DBUILD_TESTING=ON

Then you can use: ctest -j 4 to run the test in parallel

For programs use:
-DBUILD_PROGRAMS=ON

For the missing build flags this is great feedback and I will to fix those:

Add:
-DENABLE_HARDENING,
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

Add option:
-fstack-protector-strong (on compilers where it is supported, unless
disabled with --disable-stack-protector).
-DCUSTOM_MODES

Please let me know if there is more missing flags.

I might reach out to you directly if I am having issues with the build with these flags.

I would like to aim that CMake can produce binaries similar as autotools with same build flags etc.
Some documentation regarding these options for people not familiar with CMake would probably also help.

Best Regards Marcus