[opus] Antw: Proposal - Extended Channel Layouts in Opus

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Oct 25 06:15:20 UTC 2018

Nachricht <06F11512-FD4F-4C99-8E87-7D1B5D7CAC3A at gmail.com>:
> I've run into some issues using Opus with source files in channel layouts
> other than the default 8. For instance, 2.1 isn't supported, so I have to
> either downconvert to 2.0 or upconvert to 5.1 (which usually involves adding

> empty channels, which prevents the playback device from upconverting to the

> native layout).

Hi!

While talking on 2.1: Is there any standard for recording MS (Mid-Side (2
channels) with Opus (or any other Ogg Codec). In MS one channel is the sum of
both stereo channels, while the other channel is the difference between left
and right (or the other way round). Usually this isn't computed from stereo
(LR) recordings, but made with special microphones...

Regards,
Ulrich

> To address this, I've put together an initial draft of an I‑D I'd like to
run
> by this list for feedback.
> Here's the RFCXML:
> And the resulting TXT:
>
> This is primarily based on the Ambisonics draft, as it's generally making
> additions to the same areas.
>
> A few areas I'd expect could be improved:
> Currently I'm using Microsoft's WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE structure's
> dwChannelMask field to define channel positions. These values are reasonably

> standard, but I'm not sure if citing Microsoft's documentation directly is
> the best way to handle this. We might want to copy the channel names into
the
> spec, or cite some other document from a standards body naming and numbering

> speaker positions (does anyone know anything applicable?).
> Should this list be made into its own registry, for later extensibility?
> ffmpeg additionally defines "stereo left/right" (for an embedded downmix),
> "wide left/right", "surround direct left/right", and "low frequency #2".
> The downmixing algorithm is largely a description of ffmpeg's
> libswresample's behavior. Documenting some downmixing behavior was suggested

> by mark4o in the #opus channel on Freenode; not sure if the current
> formatting is optimal.
> I'm referring to (and using terminology from) the struct defined in section

> 5.1.1 of RFC7845. Should I copy the relevant portions into this document as

> well?
> I'm redefining the mapping table for this mapping family. This was an easy
> place to specify channel positions, but it means that the "multiple channels

> copied from the same stream" feature isn't available. I don't particularly
> expect this to be an issue, but if people have problems with it, we can
> instead keep the existing table and add a simple bitmask before or after
it.

> I've looked into the relevant changes in libavcodec and libopus. It's
> reasonably simple to add on the decode side in libavcodec's native decoder
> (largely changes to ff_opus_parse_extradata), but it's a bit trickier in
> libopus, because there's no support in the API for channel layouts (and thus

> stereo stream counts) other than those in the standard. I'd expect to need
> take one of these routes:
> Add new opus_multistream_surround_encoder_create and
> opus_multistream_surround_encoder_init variants that take a uint32_t (or
> uint64_t for future expansion) bitmask
> Have

opus_multistream_surround_encoder_create/opus_multistream_surround_encoder_in