[opus] Question about libopusfile downloading the last 64K when duration is not needed

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Fri Nov 16 15:02:58 UTC 2018

Ian Reed wrote:
> I retain all the bytes that have already been downloaded, so I think
> closing and reopening the file with seeking enabled, then seeking to the
> right point, should work.

This sounds like a much easier approach than rewriting the necessary
portions of opusfile. Let us know if you run into any trouble.

Opusfile was modeled very closely after libvorbisfile, whose original
design goals were to enable easy format support for general music
players. Such players typically need to present the user with a seekbar
with a duration on it before any seeking occurs, and do not usually have
an external means for finding a file's duration. I don't think yours was
a use-case we had previously considered.