[opus] Stereo dropping to mono with libopus 1.2 RC

Matěj Steklík matej.steklik at post.cz
Sun Jun 18 11:01:25 UTC 2017

Hello, I'm not a programmer or Opus developer but I tried to test the sound
quality of a music file (Nick Warren - Devil's Elbow, freely available from
the author's Soundcloud account) encoded with libopus 1.2 RC1. I used
Windows binaries from free-codecs.com. I noticed that in the case of my
selected music file (which is generally harsh on lossy codecs as it's
necessary to use quite a high bitrate to make differences between the
original and processed file inaudible), there is a long drop of stereo to
mono (or something which sounds similar) at the beginning of the track and a
few others much shorter during the whole track lenght. The selected bitrate
is 32 kb/s stereo and everything else on default values. This is not
happenig with libopus 1.1.x. Also while generally the quality of sound at 32
kb/s is now better with libopus 1.2 than before (except for those stereo to
mono drops, of course), at 48 kb/s (so probably CELT only) the quality seems
slightly lower than with libopus 1.1.x. The difference is minimal but the
sound feels a bit more "flat". Stereo to mono drops happens at 48 kb/s as
well but they're not as noticeable. If you want, I can upload the encoded
files somewhere so you can check them. I think this should be solved before
the final 1.2 release as it strongly influence the sound quality of encoded
files. Thanks for reading.