[opus] FEC and Stereo

Jon Lederman jon at soniccloud.com
Fri Jan 27 17:29:41 UTC 2017

Hi Jean-Marc,

Thank you.  Yes, we do need both channels independent.  So, if we encode each channel separately, we will be sacrificing the compression ratio we would achieve with stereo encoding, correct?

So, based on what you say here is my understanding.  Please confirm this is correct or not:

1) If we use fec, we can reduce cross-talk but increasing bitrate.  However, that should result in higher packet loss due to higher bitrate.
2) If we don’t use fec, we can have no crosstalk.  However, then we have significant chance of packet loss.
3) We could encode each channel separately.  In this case, we would have no crosstalk, but we would have a lower compression rate/efficiency.

Thanks.

-Jon