[opus] Fwd: HW requirements?

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Thu Nov 17 17:07:18 UTC 2016

On 16/11/16 07:29 AM, Bence Szebedy wrote:
> I would like to implement an opus encoder on a TI CC2650 MCU (128 kB Flash).
>
> I did not find any information about the hardware requirements of opus,
> but I found that someone already had trouble with the flash size with
> the 512 kB ATMEL AT32UC3B0512.
> (http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/opus/2016-August/003611.html
> <http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/opus/2016-August/003611.html>)
>
> Do you think I should start implementing or rather find an other
> lightweight codec? Can you recommend any?

With just 128 kB, I think you'd want to only implement a SILK encoder or
a CELT encoder, with none of the optional functions (e.g. there's
sometimes more than one variant of a function, or analysis functions
that aren't absolutely necessary). For example, on X86 I think you can
implement a CELT encoder in about 40-50 kB. I'm not sure about SILK.