[opus] ambisonics formats and channel mappings

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Tue May 31 19:41:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-31, Marc Lavallee wrote:

> As UHJ only have 2 channels, and is directly stereo and mono
> compatible, it would nice to have it identified as UHJ in the
> metadata. There's no need for decoding at this point; an external
> decoder could take care of it for speaker arrays or binaural
> listening.

UHJ in general has 1, 2, "2.5", 3 or 4 channels, in a hierarchy. Those
variants are called, in order, B or mono, BHJ, SHJ, THJ and PHJ. They
support, respectively, mono compatibility, stereo compatibility, limited
bandwidth full circle compatibility on top of stereo, full bandwidth
full circle compatibility on top of stereo, and finally an equivalent of
the full first order ambisonic B-format, only encoded such that dropping
one channel gives you 2D full surround, dropping two yields stereo, and
dropping there gives mono.

I might be being a bit bold here, but do take a look at what we once
tried to do with OggPCM channel
maps (https://wiki.xiph.org/OggPCM#Channel_Mapping_Headers). That piece
of work is an attempt at an all-encompassing channel semantics standard,
and if ever implemented, would do pretty much what you're after here.

Obviously it's also a true exemplar of preƫmptive overengineering, which
is one reason nobody to my knowledge ever implemented it, at least in
full. However, if you take a look at how we structured the thing, you
can extract a ready subset for pretty much any static channel tagging
problem from there.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy at iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2