[opus] Audio Bandwidth Of Files We Encoded

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Tue May 17 18:50:01 UTC 2016

Using the Windows command-line encoder that is part of opus-tools-0.1.9, we encoded several talking book audio files for subjective listening tests. When this program is encoding speech audio at 24 or 32 kbps constant bit rate from files that have a 44.1 KHz sampling rate, which bandwidth (SWB or FB) would the encoder default to?
This codec is quite impressive. The only signal that gives it some trouble is where a 50-Hz index tone is superimposed on the audio (which adds some background noise to the bit stream at these bit rates).

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20542   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls/
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.