[opus] Antw: Test still failing in old CPUs

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Thu Jan 14 03:07:35 PST 2016

On 01/14/2016 02:23 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> """
>> ./test-driver: line 107: 25185 Illegal instruction     "$@" > $log_file
> 2>&1
>> FAIL: celt/tests/test_unit_mathops
>> """
>
> The shell script most likely does not have the illegal instruction; a more
> useful report would be to run the thing under a debugger like gdb and then
> disassemble the instruction in question.

As I said earlier, the problem is fully understood. We just don't have a
solution for it yet.

What happens is that the unit tests have to directly #include the C
files they test because some of the functions tested are static. But
some of the #included C files use intrinsics with CPU detection so they
require being compiled with (e.g.) -msse4, but as soon as we include
those compile flags, the compiler is free to use these instructions
anywhere. And this cases the Illegal instruction failure.