[opus] How to make opus work on a low end device ?

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Thu Jan 7 23:16:05 PST 2016

On 12/28/15 9:11 AM, jensenchen wrote:
> hi,
>     I am porting opus encoder to a low end device with  32K ram, 256K
> flash and 32MHz  arm M3 mcu.

Don't do this.  The delta in cost between a 32K/256K/32MHz and a
128K/256K/100MHz processor borders on zero.  Implementing Opus on the
second is work but not excessive amounts of it.  Implementing it on the
first is nothing but pain.

If you're stuck with this configuration because, say, you are stuck with
a Nordic bluetooth chip, stop now.  You will not be able to use
Bluetooth and encode.  There just aren't enough cycles.

Overall, you will not be able to do anything other than move data in on
SPI, encode it and move it out on SPI pretty much at any frequency below
about 80MHz--64MHz if I'm being excessively charitable.  And you better
have DMA engines handling the SPI transfers.

-a