[opus] Channel Mapping Family for Ambisonics

Michael Graczyk mgraczyk at google.com
Tue Apr 19 18:53:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Christian Hoene
<christian.hoene at symonics.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ambisonics are good for the recording but what is about the playback?

I think playback is a separate concern. You will have to interpret the
ambisonics at some point, analogous to downmixing a 5.1 Opus stream to
stereo for playback.

> In addition to an Ambisonic channel mapping, isn't it worthwhile to think about
> some object based audio coding, too?

Yes, it would be nice to have a way to include multiple mono channels,
for example. I have not though too much about that but maybe that
would be something to keep in mind.