[opus] MIME Types and File Extensions

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Thu Jan 8 14:35:09 PST 2015

On 2015-01-08 12:17 PM, Martin Leese wrote:

> I added Opus to several of the sections, but
> wasn't sure whether to add "Theora + Opus" to:
>     .ogv - video/ogg
>     .axv - video/annodex

.ogv is more correct there. .axv indicates a cmml text annotation track.

> As far as I can tell, according to the Opus
> FAQ at:
>     https://wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ#Will_Opus_replace_Vorbis_in_video_files.3F
>
> Theora + Opus is possible but not recommended.

The faq isn't completely accurate, in that theora+opus will work in some
players, and Youtube is happily serving vp9+vorbis in webm. One can try
to use the 'codecs' extension to mime-types to specify, but that isn't
universally supported either.

 -r