[opus] runtime reconfiguration of opusenc

Michael Mehari mmehari at intec.ugent.be
Mon Oct 6 00:17:53 PDT 2014

Hello All,

This is my first appearance to the opus mailing list. My name is Michael
Mehari and i am a researcher at Ghent University mainly on cognitive
radio networking. Recently i am working on a demo scenario on self
adjustable wireless audio conferencing and i selected opus for the audio
encoding and decoding part. specifically the applications (i.e opusenc
and opusdec) from opus-tools are what i was looking for.

However, i have one problem when using the opusenc application. The
input parameters are start time configurable but i was looking for
realtime reconfiguration for example changing bitrate on the fly. With
in the context of my demo scenario, a wireless audio conferencing works
in a dynamic environment and the audio quality at the reciever end is
impacted by the interference level on top of the (opus) encoding
degradation. I have read so far that opus can adjust its bitrates
seamlessly (i.e depending on the audio input) but i don't know if this
functionality is exposed to the user. For example, is it possible to put
"opusenc" with in an optimization framework such that it accepts
configuration inputs (i.e. bitrate and framesize) from the framework
during runtime?

I hope i make myself clear and please let me know if there exists such a
thing or direct me how i can do it myself.

Thank you,
Michael

--
Michael Mehari