[opus] How frequently should Opus Control Parameters be modified?

Amit Chowdhary amit.cho at directi.com
Mon May 12 22:36:54 PDT 2014

I am using Opus in a mobile VoIP client. I don’t intend to deliver
audio beyond wide band but want to ensure the best possible quality
even at low bandwidths and high packet loss rates. I am trying to
feed RTCP information to opus, that is set its bit-rate and expected
packet loss periodically.

1) Any suggestions on how often I should change the bit-rate and
expected packet loss, (maybe even lower the audio bandwidth if the
bit-rate available is below the sweet-spot for WB)?

2) How is the codec's performance affected every time a control parameter
such as bit-rate or audio bandwidth is changed?
Would doing this every second or every five seconds be a good idea?
Or should this be done rarely?

3) I would also like to know about complexity and what would be a good
value on mobile devices. In my understanding a high complexity will add
delay (latency) to the codec, will it have any other bad effect?
Will this delay be device dependent? I will test these values but getting
an estimate of a good value to use on mobile clients would be nice.

Thanks,
Amit