[opus] Opus in WebM

Brendan Bolles brendan at fnordware.com
Fri Jan 17 14:48:25 PST 2014

On Jan 17, 2014, at 2:19 PM, Benjamin Schwartz wrote:

> Yes, it's basically an intrinsic aspect of the mathematics.  If you seek into the middle of an Opus stream, that's about how long it takes before the audio converges to be correct.

I see.  Thanks for the info.

Any idea about the other Matroska tags?  I guess CodecDelay will be the value you get from OPUS_GET_LOOKAHEAD() converted to nanoseconds?

DiscardPadding seems to assume that you might top off an opus frame with empty samples when the frame would spill onto the next matroska timestamp.  So rather than have continuous opus that could be decoded one after another, you'd have to jump over these little gaps?

The document says it would be useful for Vorbis too, but Vorbis seems to just emit packets as it wants and you don't really have any control over the boundaries.  I assumed we would just do the same with Opus, even it it can be controlled better.

Brendan