[opus] mid stream sample rate changes

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Wed Oct 23 13:39:55 PDT 2013

On 08/22/2013 02:49 PM, Philip Gruebele wrote:
> Does Opus support mid-steam sample rate changes?  For example if I have
> an audio stream which consists of 1 minute of 8Khz audio, then 10
> seconds of 32Khz audio, then 2 minutes of 8Khz audio, can this be
> encoded in a single Opus stream which the decoder will understand? If
> not, are there any plans for implementing this?

This is perfectly well supported at the codec level without requiring
any work at the container/transport level. Any decoder will handle this
use case fine, although doing the actual encoding might require some
custom work. In the case of Ogg, you can either hack the opusenc to
handle it or you can encode each part separately and concatenate the
resulting files (chaining).