[opus] Quality difference between opus_demo.exe and opusenc.exe

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon May 13 10:46:19 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Hermann Weber <hermie.weber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I encoded a voice file (48kHz) with opusbin\opusenc.exe with the
> standard settings and decoded it.
> The output was amazing. I could not hear any loss at all.
>
> Then i encoded the same file with opus_demo.exe and standard settings
> and then decoded it.
> The output had a sizzling noise, even when I used full bandwidth.

Opus_demo does not read and write wav files, it reads and write little
endian raw 16 bit pcm data.  It's very easy to get the raw format
settings wrong and get buzzing output like you describe. Without more
information I cannot offer more advice.

Opus demo is a testing tool for development and not an end user application.