[opus] Even lower latency for wireless radio mics

Simon Blandford sblandford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 03:30:18 PDT 2013

Hi,

Live audio (especially music) applications usually need a total latency
of less than 5ms. Correct me if I am wrong but the minimum latency of
the Opus codec is 2.5ms (encoder) + 2.5ms (decoder) = 5ms? Is there any
way to go down to, say 1.25ms frame size?

One characteristic of wireless radio mic links, if that helps, is that
they usually only need a frequency response from 50Hz to 20KHz rather
than the usual 20Hz to 20KHz.

Bending the code out of spec is acceptable in this particular
application because it is normal for radio mic transmitters to be paired
with matching receivers from the same manufacturer.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of the developers to get an
idea if codec could be used in live applications.

Thanks & regards