[opus] CVBR (constrained variable bitrate)

Phil DiFrancesca phil at theaudiopower.com
Fri Mar 1 16:48:57 PST 2013

Hi,

  When I use the encode tool with the -vbr switch OR the -cvbr switch I do
not see any change in the file size.  There is no difference in file size
between the above 2 options when I specify a bitrate using the -bitrate
option either.

  My question is when I enter a bitrate it does a good job of meeting my
request, so what is the purpose of the -cvbr switch ?  What does it do that
simply specifying a bitrate target will not do ?  How is "constrained"
variable bitrate encoding implemented in Opus ?

Thanks,

Phil