[opus] Opus RTP/RTSP support

Giulio Mazzoleni giulio.mazzoleni at digital-instruments.it
Fri Nov 23 09:05:12 PST 2012

Il 23/11/2012 17.52, Timothy B. Terriberry ha scritto:
> Giulio Mazzoleni wrote:
>> Is there any program that is currenlty able to play a RTSP/RTP stream
>> encoded with opus?
> Both (the current beta release of) Firefox and Chrome (as of M24)
> support Opus in (S)RTP as part of WebRTC. Of course, that also requires
> ICE and DTLS-SRTP (for Firefox) or SDES-SRTP (for Chrome... DTLS-SRTP
> support will be coming in M25), so it may not be the most convenient for
> simple testing.
>
> The underlying media engine used by both browsers can be tested
> separately, however. See
> <http://www.webrtc.org/reference/getting-started>  to get the code and
> build it. After that, you can run voe_cmd_test to set up an RTP receiver
> listening for Opus (just follow the on-screen prompts).
>
> There's no signaling (e.g., SDP), so you'll have to hard-code the
> payload type you send on (like opusrtp in opus-tools does), or figure
> out how to generate suitable signaling to send to your own application.
> The handling of mono and stereo is being changed slightly in
> <http://review.webrtc.org/933022/>  (to run on a single payload type to
> avoid negotiation failure). We recently clarified how this is supposed
> to work in<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-spittka-payload-rtp-opus-02>.
Thanks Timothy for the many info you provided.
I'll take some time to go trhough them, but hopefully I'll get a better
idea on the subject.

In the meantime I come across this post:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2012-September/085336.html

I was using RTP dynamic payload type 109 as seen i the opurtp code and
sending SDP signalling as stated in the RTP draft (mostly about
frequency, audio type and subtype).

But I'll have to double check all the VLC, mplayer, ffmpeg, and of
course Chrome and Firefox to find the easiest tool to debug the system.

Thanks for the quick answer.
I'll keep you updated with my discoverings.

Regards,
Giulio