[opus] Opus RTP/RTSP support

Giulio Mazzoleni giulio.mazzoleni at digital-instruments.it
Fri Nov 23 08:29:04 PST 2012

Dear Opus developers.

This is the first time I write here, so hello to everybody!
Sorry to disturb you but I would like to ask you something I could not
answer by googling and by looking at this mailing list archive.

I have just started investigating this new and promising codec for
real-time audio transport over the internet for industrial applications.
I was previously experimenting with RTP streams with PCM and MP3 codec
and now I would like to do the same with the OPUS codec.

***
Is there any program that is currenlty able to play a RTSP/RTP stream
encoded with opus?
***

I have looked at the Opus RTP draft and at the opus-tools master source
code.
I have downloaded VLC and foobar2000.
I have also looked at http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/labs.html

foobar2000 v1.1.17 is able to open the opus files in streaming from the
Absolute Radio website, but they are encapsulated into TCP traffic and
not RTP. VLC v2.1.0-beta states that opus is not even supported
(probably in streaming) when trying to open the very same links posted
there.

I know the codec has been standardized since few time and it will
probably be supported in future sw releases. But maybe I missed some
other project that already works off-the-shelf.

I am looking into this in order to properly test my implementation for
debugging purposes.

If there are no other alternatives I'll just use the opusrtp program to
decode the stream to ogg and play it later.

Thanks for your support and best regards.
Giulio Mazzoleni